Genius Loves Company is the latest release from Pop Sensation Ray Charles, and I can only think of one word to describe this CD… AWESOME!
I wish it weren’t the case but, it’s not everyday that I get a LP from an artist that I can just pop in and comfortably listen to from beginning to end. There is usually a song or two that I just can’t force myself to get through. Not at all the case with Genius Loves Company. Every track is enjoyable and was pretty easy for me to listen to from start to finish.
Pop music fans will recognize some of the well known contributors on the project including Billy Preston and Michael Landau plus a few other notables as well.
Overall Genius Loves Company is an outstanding release. Quite possibly Ray Charles’s best to date. Really sensational from beginning to end. If you’re even mildly into Pop music you’ll enjoy this album.
While the entire album is really very good the truly standout tunes are track 2 – Sweet Potato Pie, track 4 – Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word, and track 7 – It Was A Very Good Year.
My Bonus Pick, and the one that got Sore […as in “Stuck On REpeat”] is track 10 – Heaven Help Us All. Wow!
Genius Loves Company Release Notes:
Ray Charles originally released Genius Loves Company on August 31, 2004 on the Concord Records label.
CD Track List Follows:
1. Here We Go Again – (featuring Norah Jones)
2. Sweet Potato Pie – (featuring James Taylor)
3. You Don’t Know Me – (featuring Diana Krall)
4. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word – (featuring Elton John)
5. Fever – (featuring Natalie Cole)
6. Do I Ever Cross Your Mind? – (featuring Bonnie Raitt)
7. It Was A Very Good Year – (featuring Willie Nelson)
8. Hey Girl – (featuring Michael McDonald)
9. Sinner’s Prayer – (featuring B.B. King)
10. Heaven Help Us All – (featuring Gladys Knight)
11. Over The Rainbow – (featuring Johnny Mathis)
12. Crazy Love – (live, featuring Van Morrison)
Personnel include: Ray Charles (vocals, piano); B.B. King, Willie Nelson (vocals, guitar); Bonnie Raitt (vocals, slide guitar); Norah Jones (vocals, piano); Michael McDonald (vocals, keyboards); Diana Krall, Elton John, James Taylor , Johnny Mathis, Van Morrison, Natalie Cole, Gladys Knight (vocals); Danny Jacob, George Marinelli, Jeff Mironov, Michael Landau, Michael Thompson , George Doering, Charles Fearing, Irv Kramer (guitar); Randy Waldman (piano, keyboards); Alan Pasqua (piano); Billy Preston (Hammond b-3 organ); Michael Beardon (keyboards); David Hayes, Abraham Laboriel, Trey Henry, Tom Fowler (bass guitar); James Gadson, Jim Keltner, Ray Brinker, Shawn Pelton (drums); Bashiri Johnson (percussion).