This has been a wonderful decade in the music world. So many styles have emerged and blossomed, and I believe that a lot of it has to do with the Internet.
Whereas up until this decade everything we heard was largely dictated by the radio and television networks, the web has opened the doors to so many independent artists and labels that may not have garnered mainstream attention before.
This has been great for music lovers, especially those who follow the indie rock music scene. Looking back on the decade that was, I thought it would be fun to review this past decade’s top 5 bands of this genre. This is all in my humble opinion, and you have every right to disagree.
5. The folksy style of The Shins has always struck a chord with me. While the band only produced three albums, they were all top notch. I’m excited for their next release.
4. The Arcade Fire only produced two albums, but Funeral, the band’s debut, was a monumental release and largely defined a style of music that still continues to develop present day. It’s amazing to think that it’s been five years since their debut, but it was a classic that’s still just as enjoyable to this day.
3. Spoon has become one of those mainstays in the indie world, thanks to singer Britt Daniel’s knack for catchy hooks. Look for yet another release in January 2010.
2. Wilco symbolically and musically meant a lot to this past decade, and they get my vote for number two. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot started it all at the beginning of the 2000s, and Jeff Tweedy and crew have continued to produce some great music ever since.
1. Radiohead. Many might say they were the best 90s rock band too, at least of the second half. While my vote there goes to Pearl Jam, Radiohead carried its momentum from the 90s into the 2000s, creating some brilliant and truly innovative music.